Traditional Navajo Taboos
Babies & Infants, and Small Children
- Do not make an infant laugh while it is still tiny because it is
dangerous. It will effect the baby later and it will not be able to laugh
when it grows up.
- Do not get after babies or cuss at them or they will be worse. Do not
tease babies or hurt them because they will think bad about you and you will be
- Do not hold a mirror up to a baby or the baby will go blind.
- Do not cut a baby's hair when it is small because it will not think right
when it gets older.
- Do not hit babies in the mouth because they will be stubborn and slow to
- Do not allow a cat near a new baby because the cat will suffocate it.
- Do not give babies things you really like because the baby might die.
- Do not leave a baby's track on the ground because a witch can use the track
to hurt the baby.
- Do not tell little children giant stories or they will be stupid.
- Do not leave a baby alone at night or ghosts might shock them.
- Do not take a baby outside at night without ashes because ghost might harm
- Do not hold a baby upside down or it will have a flat front.
- Do not let a baby's head stay to one side in the cradleboard or it will
have a wide head.
- Do not let a baby cross its fingers or its mother will have another one
Return to Navajo Taboos
COPYRIGHT Navajocentral Website
PO BOX 1945
Chinle, Arizona 86503