Traditional Navajo Taboos
Food and Cooking <
- Do not eat with your hat on because you will not get full.
- Do not damage things you have eaten from because people do that when you
- Do not eat from broken or cracked cooking utensils because only evil
spirits do that and you will be bewitched.
- Do not feed Navajo cake to a dog or it will not taste good next time.
- Girl's should not eat their own Navajo cake or their teeth will all fall
- Do not eat a Navajo cake all by yourself or your teeth will all fall out.
- Do not stab a knife point first into meat or other food or you will have
sharp pains inside your body.
- Do not eat with a knife because you will have backaches and lose your
- Do not leave meat joints together or they will run off and you will lose
them. You will also get rheumatism.
- Do not eat from stacked dishes because some day you will starve to death.
- Do not put the cap back on any empty bottle or you will get a headache.
- Do not put a bowl, Navajo basket, or bucket on your head because you will
not grow any more.
- Do not eat without feeding something to the fire or you will never be rich.
- Do not cook ribs inside up or you will get divorced.
- Do not eat from a pot that is still cooking or you will starve to death
- Do not eat the heel of a loaf of bread or you will have lots of children.
- Do not eat, kick, or look at mushrooms or you will go blind.
- Do not eat in front of a dog or he will get full and you will go hungry.
- Do not eat things like the meat of bears and snakes because you will go
wild or crazy.
- Do not count things while you are cooking (fry bread) because they will
- Do not waste meat or your livestock will go away.
- Do not shoot an animal you are going to eat. Instead butcher it
another way or the meat will spoil.
- Do not eat any livestock killed by a snake or it will kill you.
- Do not eat on a rock or you will get heavy as a rock.
- Do not eat in bed or you will choke yourself.
- Do not break a deer bone when you are eating or you will have a broken
- Do not spit out deer meat once it is in your mouth because next time there
will not be any deer.
- Do not give deer meat to dogs or you will have bad luck.
- Do not eat the side of a sheep with a funny eyeball or you will go blind.
- Do not eat chicken skins or you will get boils and bumps on your skin.
- Do not eat any water animal (frogs, fish, ducks, etc) or you will get
- Do not poke holes in food or you will have ulcers and stomach trouble.
- Do not sit on a bag of flour because it will go down and you will not have
anything to eat.
- Do not eat the scum of boiled milk or you will get wrinkles.
- Girls should not burn fry bread or they will get a divorce.
- Do not eat meat from a dead animal you find because it will make poison you
and make you sick.
- Do not waste good food or next time you will go hungry.
- Do not eat anything from a trash pile or you will get a bump or hunchback.
- Do not eat raw meat because it will poison you.
- Do not eat raw potatoes or you will get a lump under your chin (goiter).
- Do not eat watermelon lying down or you will choke.
- Do not rub your stomach after you eat or you will get a pain.
- Do not play with your food or you will never get enough.
- Do not let your hair touch your food or you will have hair grow in your
- Do not eat when there is an eclipse or you will get sick.
- Do not eat frogs because you will have bad luck or bad breath.
Return to Navajo
COPYRIGHT Navajocentral Website
PO BOX 1945
Chinle, Arizona 86503