Traditional Navajo Taboos
- Do not leave the house while your husband is hunting or he will not have
- Do not wash your hair while your husband is hunting or he will not get
- Do not throw deerskin or bones away because they are sacred and you will
not have any luck hunting.
- Do not carry a deer you have killed without cutting the chest or you will
have bad luck.
- Do not feed deer meat to dogs or you will not get any more.
- Do not skin a rabbit with another one looking because you will get no more
rabbits and the other one will witch you.
- Do not spit, sleep, eat in a catch pen, or where one was or you will get no
more game and have bad luck. If this happens a ceremony is needed.
- Do not kill a deer without leaving part of it or you will never get another
- Do not throw the skin of a deer where the sheep can walk on it or they will
be wild like the deer.
Return to Navajo
COPYRIGHT Navajocentral Website
PO BOX 1945
Chinle, Arizona 86503