Traditional Navajo Taboos
- Do not sleep with your head pointing to the North or you might die.
North is the direction of evil and dead people lie that way.
- Do not sleep with your head towards the head end of a sheepskin because it
will run off with you during the night.
- Do not sleep with your doll because it might choke you.
- Do not sleep too much or too late in the day or you will get old soon and
have spots on your face.
- Do not sleep at sunset or you will be sick often.
- Do not leave your shoes under your pillow when you sleep or you will go
deaf and have bad dreams.
- Do not sleep with a cat or dog because you will have stomach trouble and
get a bad smell inside of you.
- Do not sleep with a rug under your head because you will not sleep well and
you will have nightmares.
- Do not use a rock for a pillow because it will cause bad dreams or you will
have a deformed head.
- Do not put your arms on your chest when you sleep because you will not wake
up or you will talk in your sleep.
- Do not sleep with your hat on or it will grow on your head.
- Do not walk over someone's leg while they are sleeping or you will get a
- Do not go to bed early in the evening because the poverty people will come
- Do not sleep past sunup because all the good things will pass you by.
Return to Navajo Taboos
COPYRIGHT Navajocentral Website
PO BOX 1945
Chinle, Arizona 86503